We’re here to help you add some more tools to your tool belt with today’s handy How To: Sell a Gift Certificate in Point of Sale (Article).
Before you can sell a gift certificate, you need to make sure the gift certificate functionality is turned on in your QuickBooks Point of Sale. To turn on the Gift Certificate function:
- Start by clicking the [FILE] menu in the top left corner.
- Select [PREFERENCES] > [COMPANY].
- In the left-hand column, select [RECEIPT TENDERING] from the Sales section.
- Under Payment Methods, make sure that [GIFT CERTIFICATE] (and Gift Card, if you have the Gift Card Service) check box is selected.
- Click [SAVE].
Now that your Point of Sale will allow you to sell and redeem Gift Certificates, let’s walk through the process of selling one to a customer.
- From the Home Screen, select [MAKE A SALE].
- At the bottom of the screen, you will see several tabs labeled with different payment methods. Select [GIFT] > [GIFT CERTIFICATE].
- Click the box for [SELL/PURCHASE CERTIFICATE].
- Enter the [AMOUNT] and the [GIFT CERTIFICATE NUMBER].
- Click [SAVE]. Your Gift Certificate should now show up as an item you are selling on your Make A Sale screen for the amount you entered on the previous screen. Gift Certificates are non-taxable.
- [ADD A CUSTOMER] in the box on the top right-hand side of the screen.
- Now you will [CHOOSE THE PAYMENT METHOD] for this Gift Certificate (and any other items this customer is purchasing), follow the on-screen prompts for that Payment Method.
- When you have accepted payment, [SAVE & PRINT].
- On the Print Screen, you can select the check box for [PRINT A GIFT RECEIPT].
- Click [PRINT].
Now you know How To: Sell a Gift Certificate in Point of Sale. Click here to watch our How To: Sell a Gift Certificate in Point of Sale video. Here is our article on How To: Redeem a Gift Certificate in Point of Sale.