We’re here to help you add some more tools to your tool belt with today’s handy How To: Redeem a Gift Certificate in Point of Sale.
Now that you know How To Sell a Gift Certificate in Point of Sale, you need to know How to Redeem a Gift Certificate when your customer comes back with one.
First we are going to make sure your preferences are correct so that all of your staff can redeem a Gift Certificate properly. We will start by running a report to see the Gift Certificates that we have sold:
- From the [REPORTS] menu, hover over [PAYMENTS} and then select [GIFT CERTIFICATE LIST].
- If you have not redeemed any Gift Certificates yet, this page will be blank. Let’s fix that.
- Select the [I WANT TO…] button in the top left-hand corner, then [SET REPORT ACCESS LEVELS].
- Click the [LOW SECURITY] check box. It is important that this report is accessible to all members of your staff, so that they can see how much is left on the Gift Certificate during the redemption process. Click [SAVE].
Now we are actually going to redeem the gift certificate.
- From the Home Screen, select [MAKE A SALE].
- [SELECT ITEMS] that your customer would like to buy from the Item List or Quick Pick Groups.
- [SELECT CUSTOMER] that is making the purchase.
- Along the bottom of the screen, there are several payment method tabs. Select the [GIFT] tab, then [GIFT CERTIFICATE].
- Now, we don’t know how much is left on the Gift Certificate, or if it has been fully redeemed yet. We need to run the Gift Certificate Report to see how much is left on the Gift Certificate. Select the [REPORT] menu, then [PAYMENTS], then [GIFT CERTIFICATE LIST].
- [LOOK FOR THE GIFT CERTIFICATE NUMBER] on the list, and see how much credit is still left on the Gift Certificate.
- [CLOSE THE REPORT].
- Back in the Make A Sale screen, you will [ENTER THE REMAINING GIFT CERTIFICATE AMOUNT OR THE COST OF THE ITEMS BEING SOLD, WHICHEVER IS LOWER].
- [ENTER THE GIFT CERTIFICATE NUMBER] > [SAVE].
- If the items being purchased cost more than the remaining amount left on the Gift Certificate, there will be a remaining balance due. If the items being purchased cost less than the remaining amount left on the Gift Certificate, there will be a balance left on the Gift Certificate (you can run the Gift Certificate Report again to see the balance left on the Gift Certificate. If you sold items for more than the gift certificate was worth, there will be a negative amount on the Gift Certificate Report).
- If there is a remaining balance due, [ACCEPT PAYMENT AS USUAL], then [SAVE ONLY].
Now you know How To: Redeem a Gift Certificate in Point of Sale. Click here to watch our How To: Redeem a Gift Certificate in Point of Sale video. Here is our article on How To: Sell a Gift Certificate in Point of Sale.