This week’s question is about QuickBooks Point of Sale.
How do I set it up so I can email a sales receipt to my customer out of Point of Sale?
The first thing you need in order to setup emailing documents out of Point of Sale is a “default email client”. Most people have Microsoft Outlook installed on their computer, which is an example of a default email client. If you do not have Microsoft Outlook, and would like it, click on the Microsoft store link on this page. We recommend the Microsoft Office 365 Home ($99/year) for most applications. Modern Secretary can assist with this installation and setup process for a fee.
Once you have established a default email client, open Point of Sale.
- Choose File
- Choose Preferences – > Workstation
- Choose Print Options on the left side (under Documents and Printers).
- Click on the box that says Prompt to email receipt with each sale.
- Click on Save to save changes to the preferences.
- If you would like to change the default email message that goes out, you can alter that in Company Preferences. Choose File.
- Choose Preferences – > Company
- Choose Email Documents on the left side.
- A blank email template will appear, with “Change default for ” with Receipts in the box. This tells you that you are editing the email template for Sales Receipts. Any sales receipts that are emailed will have the message displayed in the subject and the body fields.
You can change which documents you are changing the default email template for by clicking on “Receipts” and using the drop down to choose the correct documents. For our purposes here, we will keep this on “Receipts”.
You can change the Subject and Body of the email to your liking. Feel free to use the Field tags listed below to automatically fill in Client name, title, vendor, doc number, store name, etc.
- You can also choose to have the sales receipt attached as a PDF, Text, HTML, or Excel. Usually, PDF is the easiest for customers. To do this, use the drop down next to Create Attachment as PDF, and choose PDF, HTML, Text, or excel.
- Once you are done making your changes to your template, click Save at the bottom right.
- You can go back in to Company preferences and edit other templates, such as for purchase orders.