We’re here to help you add some more tools to your tool belt with today’s handy How To: Run Reports in Point of Sale.
Running reports are necessary for all businesses. Reports help you know where you stand, and Point of Sale has lots of reports that can help you break down your business into some useable numbers. Here are the basics of running reports in Point of Sale.
One of the easiest way to run and review reports in Point of Sale is by choosing a pre-made report from the [REPORTS] dropdown menu. Many common, pre-made reports are at your fingertips – simply choose what type of activity you are looking to get more detail on…is it sales, cash drawer activity, payments, customers, items, purchasing, employees, financial exchange – or a report you customize and memorize for later? No matter what you choose – as you scroll through the lower half of the Reports dropdown menu – the available reports populate in the pop-out to the right. This is a great way to narrow down what you want to see – once you choose a report – you can make modifications and save it to your Memorized Reports for next time!
The second way to run or create reports is also accessed from the [REPORTS] dropdown menu.
- From the Reports menu, select [REPORT CENTER].
- There are two tabs at the top of the screen. Let’s start with [OVERVIEW].
- The left-hand side of the screen is dedicated to the most Commonly Run Reports from each category, and a description of the report. Simply [CLICK ON ANY REPORT] to run it.
- The right-hand column contains Memorized Reports, these are the reports you have customized, and then “memorized”. Be sure to rename the report – when you are saving the new report – so it can be easily identified for future use! Again, just [CLICK ON ANY REPORT] to run, make any adjustments to date, columns, filters, etc – then rename it as you memorize/save it!
- If you don’t find just what you are looking for, use the [CREATE A REPORT] button just below the Memorized Reports column. This will launch a report wizard that will provide options and suggestions for customization.
- If you instead choose the [ALL REPORTS] tab at the top of the screen, you will be taken to a screen with all of the reports from all of the categories. These are the same reports that are visible from the [REPORTS] dropdown menu that we scrolled over earlier– but a brief description is provided for your convenience. If you are looking for something specific, this would be a good place to look before taking the time to create a report yourself. There are a lot of reports here to choose from, it is a great place to begin you journey of running Reports – and modifying them for future use.
- Once you have selected the report you want, [FOLLOW THE ON-SCREEN PROMPTS] to customize the report to your liking. If you select a Memorized Report, you will be taken to the pre-customized report.
- Click [RUN].
- With your report on-screen, you can choose to [MODIFY] if necessary to filter data, add or remove columns and edit the appearance.
- From the toolbar at the top of the screen, you can select what you want to do with this report:
- [PRINT] it.
- Send it to an Excel spreadsheet by selecting [EXCEL]. (Note: You must have Microsoft Excel installed on your computer for this option).
- From the I Want To… menu, you can:
- [ADD THIS REPORT TO THE DASHBOARD] or
- [MEMORIZE THIS REPORT]. By selecting this, you will be prompted to give the report a unique name, and it will be added to the Memorized Reports column under the Overview tab.
Note regarding Multi-store systems: the Headquarters store can run reports for any store, a group of stores, or for all stores. Each remote store, however, can only run reports for their own store’s information. When running reports at the Headquarters store, use the [MODIFY REPORTS] > [FILTERS] option to specify which stores you want included in your reports.