We’re here to help you add some more tools to your tool belt with today’s How To: Count Cash Drawer for Point of Sale for Single Station Store.
Closing the register and counting the drawer at the end of each business day is an important part of running your business. It helps reconcile your accounts, and helps deter employee theft and errors if they know you are checking the drawers each day. Here’s a quick how-to:
- Open [POINT OF SALE].
- Click the [POINT OF SALE] drop-down menu.
- Select [END OF DAY PROCEDURE].
- Select [RUN END OF DAY REPOT] and then [GENERAL – Z-OUT DRAWER COUNT] from the drop-down menu for [TODAY].
- At this point, you can also [BACK UP YOUR COMPANY DATE] and [EXCHANGE DATA WITH QUICKBOOKS] at the same time by checking the boxes by those options.
- Select [START].
- The [BEGIN] box is for the amount of cash your drawer had at the beginning of the business day, before ringing any orders. QuickBooks suggests the amount of cash left over from the prior day, so you will want to change this if necessary to [MATCH THE BEGINNING TOTAL] from your start of day.
- The [PAID OUT] box is for the amount of cash you gave out of the drawer during the day. If you (for example) pulled $20 out of the drawer to buy lunch, you will want to make sure to change this number to reflect that, since the $20 was not accounted for during your daily transactions.
- Click the [ICON BETWEEN THE COUNT AND LEAVE BOXES].
- In the left-hand column, [TYPE IN HOW MANY] of each type of bill you have in your drawer. The system will automatically calculate the total amount of money for you. Select [OK]. The system will transfer the total that you counted into the [COUNT] box back on the previous screen.
- The [LEAVE] box lets the Point of Sale system know how much money you intend to open the store with the following day. We don’t recommend actually leaving the money in the register overnight, but from a system perspective, this is a helpful box.
- The [DEPOSIT] box is the recommended deposit you should make at the end of day, based on the sales you made. You may or may not do this, so be sure to change the box to match your actual deposit (especially if your Point of Sale is talking to QuickBooks financial).
- The [NON-CURRENCY] box shows all of the non-cash media you have accepted for the business day (such as checks and credit cards). We will not be making changes to this box.
- Once your count is finished, select [OK].
- The system will show you a dialog box that tells you if your count was off. It will say your count was $xx.xx Over/Short. Select [NO] to go back and recount. If your system is off, we always recommend going back and recounting, just to be sure you didn’t make a mistake. If you are still off, you can leave a note in the [REMARKS] box with any information you deem pertinent (perhaps who was on the register, if you bought lunch for the employees, etc). When you are done, select [OK] This time select [YES] to run the report without recounting.
- Now your system will back up your company file and sync with QuickBooks financial if you selected those options in the beginning.
- When finished, select [CLOSE].
- Now the [Z-OUT DRAWER COUNT REPORT] will be on the screen. This has all of the information from the day for this register. Feel free to [PRINT] this for your records.